Forum home Wildlife gardening

Identify

My granddaughter found this in the woods. We assume it’s a seed from a tree can anyone help please

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,473
    Looks like a magnolia pod.
  • Thank you. I’ve googled it and looks like you’re right. My granddaughter is thrilled and is going to plant it to see what happens @fidgetbones
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,473
    The seeds needs to be extracted from the pod, sow in pots of soil, cover with grit and then leave outside for the winter . The seeds need a period of cold before they will germinate  (stratification)
  • @fidgetbones
    wow thanks for that. She’s now disappointed(she’s only 6)  because we googled it and it says that the seeds have to be red. Is that correct? I love gardening but I’m a bit of a novice so don’t know that much  any help would be appreciated. 
    Yes, many seedpods will form without viable seed. There may still be seed in that pod, have you cut it open?

• @fidgetbones no we have not but will do now we know what we are doing. Thanks