Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bees

BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
My garden is full of plants for pollinators and my garden has been full of bees this summer more than ever but now 99% have gone. Do they die off or start to hibernate 

• It varies depending on the species. 

Not an expert by a long shot but generally speaking:

Honey Bees do not hibernate, that's (at least one?) reason for the honey, to allow them to survive.

Bumblebees on the other hand die off except a fresh generation of queens who seek out safe spots ahead of winter and essentially 'fatten up' to hibernate before emerging to start a fresh nest.

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    The bumblebees have all gone just a few honeybees knocking about, not many though
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899
    It depends what you grow in the garden.  I have loads of bees feasting on ivy flowers.  It always flowers this late in the year and is always alive with them.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    Mainly sunflowers, single dahlia, various salvia, golden rod, sedums and buddleias 
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,171
    It also depends on the weather. You are not going to see any bees about in the pouring rain which I believe you have had in the UK. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576
    In my Belgian garden we once found 4 different bees on one sedum flower in October.   Maybe you just need to make sure you have something in flower every month of the year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    All my plants are still in full bloom as they are fed and watered regularly 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576
    Notevery plant is good for pillinators.  It's a question of pollen and nectar and not all flowers off er them.  Have a look at the RHS website which has a list of pollinator friendly plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • At the moment the honey bees are mainly attracted to ivy, sedum, asters and clover. They are probably feasting on trees too, but can't say I have noticed.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,467
    I've seen less bumblebees recently but I think this is natural as I've been seeing the queens for a couple of weeks now. There are a few still kicking about, mainly carder I think, prefering the toadflax at the moment to other flowers.

I have lots of honeybees but they live in my chimney and my garden is a short journey in between the rain. Lots of wasps this year of the common type which is nice to see, I've worried about them in past years as people seem so averse to them. They love the persicaria. So do I for that matter, it's a wonderful late flowerer 🙂