Forum home Problem solving

Ivy causing damage

I have a small gap (that I cannot access) in front of my shed in between the flower bed which I cannot get to, as you can see in the photos.

At the bottom of the shed there is only insulation (not wood) and ivy is growing there and damaging this so I don’t want to end up with water in my shed.

What would you suggest for this please?  The ivy is clearly growing from around the left of the shed.  I was thinking to put a plank of wood to cover the gap avoiding any water getting through, and to cut any stems that I can reach to the left of the shed to avoid any further growth.  Would you recommend pouring any weed killer through the gap?

Thanks in advance.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,967
    edited September 2019
    Pouring weedkiller won't help, it needs to be sprayed over all or most of the plant's foliage, which is tricky if it's coming through a hedge behind a shed. 

Locate where the ivy is coming from and sever it from it's roots. You'll probably have to treat any regrowth with glyphosate or brushwood killer. 

Or to kill it dead in one go, disentangle the ivy from the hedge and lay it out on the ground (still attached to the roots), and spray it with glyphosate. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,255
    If you lay something over that bed so that you can get a look at where the ivy's growing, then you'll be able to do as @WillDB suggests. It might be tricky.
    Is it coming inside the shed? If so, you might be able to attack it from there too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....