Forum home Problem solving

Strange growth of the base of cherry blossom (Prunus Kanzan)

jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 463
Does anybody know what this stuff is at the base of my cherry blossom tree? It has been in the ground since June 2018 but hasn’t grow particularly much this year.   Wondering if this is a problem?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,237
    They look a bit like tiny roots to me. I don't think it's a sign of gall, but l could be wrong .
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,967
    It might be that the soil is a bit inhospitable (poorly drained/aerated) and the tree is responding by putting out surface roots. Has the tree rooted out into the soil beyond the original root ball when planted?
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 463
    WillDB said:
    It might be that the soil is a bit inhospitable (poorly drained/aerated) and the tree is responding by putting out surface roots. Has the tree rooted out into the soil beyond the original root ball when planted?
    I don't really know without digging it up ... is it worth doing that?  When would be a good time if so?  It has been there over a year and went in with a good hole dug, decent drainage and other nearby plants don't have any issues ... certainly not boggy ....?
    Just carefully scoop a little soil away at one side of it. You should see roots starting to grow out in the soil, not staying within the shape of the container or circling around it. 
  • jamesharcourtjamesharcourt West SussexPosts: 463
    WillDB said:
    Just carefully scoop a little soil away at one side of it. You should see roots starting to grow out in the soil, not staying within the shape of the container or circling around it. 
    Ok will do ... do you think I should dig it up and loosen the roots if it is the case that it’s still growing in a pot shape?
    If it was mine, I would prefer to disturb it as little as possible, and would break up & loosen the surrounding soil with the tree in place, and try and detangle or cut away circling roots if necessary. Check that it hasn't been planted too deeply as well though. That might make replanting (at a higher level) worthwhile considering.