Forum home Problem solving

Climbers wilt

Earlier this year, two clematis and a passion flower suddenly lost their leaves. Wilt caused by fungus seems likely. I am thinking of replacing them with different plants and am wondering whether the fungi attack specific plants, or a wide range of plants. For example, would the fungus which causes clematis wilt, attack a raspberry bush?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,798
    More likely to be thirst.  Clematis in particular are very thirsty plants and will have suffered in the heatwave this summer if you gave them no extra water.

I would cut down the dead stems, give them a thorough soaking and then a good thick mulch of well-rotted garden compost and/or manure and see what happens next spring.  I expect they'll grow back in which case water and feed and water again in dry spells.

If not, you can think about replacing them after making sure you renew the soil's fertility and structure.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The plants were well watered throughout the summer.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,798
    What kind of clematis do you have?  Group 2s, the early large flowered kinds can suffer form clematis wilt and that starts at the top of the plant and works its way down.  You can stop it by cutting off the stems before it gets to the base then feed, water and mulch and watch them re-grow.  As they get older and stronger they usually grow out of it.

I haven't heard of passion flowers having wilt problems except whe thirsty.

Another issue may be slugs or snails.  If they chewed through rich, juciy stems that would make the parts above wilt.

I think some investigation and another chance are worth trying before you condemn them.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,494
    Clematis are lazarus plants. Never dig a 'dead' one out. They can come back years later.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,358
    Have you got some photos of the plants @Terry.howe4? Many people assume wilt in clematis, when they're actually just dehydrated.
    If you look at the advice given by @Obelixx as to how wilt looks, then look at your clematis, you will be able to tell which it is. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....