Forum home Problem solving

Help with choosing a plant

Can anyone recommend a plant to grow in a glass porch that faces SE ? It can get very hot in summer but very cold in winter . It’s a large space so a big plant would be good but would also need to be tolerant of drafts when the door opens . I have a Swiss cheese plant but don’t want to put it in there if it’s not suitable ! Ideas please . Thank you 

• B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    I put heat tolerant in mine in the summer and cold tolerant in the winter - if there's room - as the space is mostly used to overwinter garden plants.
    I think I'd be hard pushed to find a single plant that would survive both apart from maybe geraniums. I had some trailing ones in a trough that survived right through one year.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,222
    You need to change the plants with the seasons as B3 suggests.  A Swiss cheese plant won't like the cold or draughts at all.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025
    What about an aspidistra? old fashioned I know but fairly bomb proof?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • That’s a great idea ! Thank you I hadn’t thought of an Aspidistra ! 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,133
    What? A yucca plant in a porch?!! Not the most welcoming of plants, I'm afraid.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,967
    Agave americana or aloes might be worth looking at. Personally I would treat it as a cold greenhouse to over winter things like Echium pinnata