Forum home Problem solving

Fungus on gravel drive

I have a gelatinous green fungus covering my gravel drive. Any ideas what it is and - more important - how do I get rid of it ?   It is more prevalent when it is wet and shrivels when it is dry.   Any thoughts and advice would be most welcome......

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    Does it look like this?

If so, it’s a liverwort and not a fungus. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,834
    @wmgolfer, please post a photo.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • This is the fungus from my driveway   It is similar to seaweed - has no roots but just lies on the top of the gravel but seems to be spreading.  It is jelly-like in texture and squidgy and obviously loves moisture.  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    It's called Nostoc @wmgolfer but I can't remember if there's anything for clearing it.
    I get it on my gravelled area where I park. It's permanently wet there.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 650
    Hi @wmgolfer,

Some forum members have used a solution of washing soda for this.

One KG in a 10L watering can – start in hot water to dissolve and top up with cold.
    Most supermarkets sell this  - about £1 for a 1KG bag .... so worth trying.

Good luck,
    Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,634
    I've seen "Patio magic" algae killer recommended but don't have any personal experience of its effectiveness.  Nostoc seems to be prevalent where glyphosate weedkillers have been regularly used.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thank you all for your responses - I will try Washing Soda as suggested and keep fingers crossed for a result !  And will keep the Patio Magic suggestion in reserve....
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999
    Nostoc is a food word for Scrabble.😁

The existence of this cyanobacterium is a sign that your gravel drive is possibly shady, wet and badly drained.

Applying washing soda, patio magic or other products will certainly produce an instant effect. However, unless the underlying conditions are dealt with the nostoc will return. More washing soda will have to be applied, to the detriment of other living things like worms and beetles that live in the gravel, the nostoc will be killed, it will then recolonise the wet and badly drained gravel and off we go again.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • A 6monthly biocide is what I'd suggest.