Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners green tax

12345679»

• Our council introduced a charge for garden waste recently.
    On the eve of the charge coming into effect I caught someone flytipping garden waste and have since caught them again twice.

I wonder how this will affect the C/N ration of the composting facility and the production of PAS100. Particulates from bonfires? (woody waste was usually burned on site or sent to landfill before collections, rarely composted)

Waste collection is the one service everyone wants from their council in the absence of domestic waste collection on the free market
    Our region's local composting facility has the largest plant in Europe and the second largest in the world as at 2016
    47,829 Tonnes food and garden waste (IVC with forced air)
    16,856 Tonnes green waste (from arbs, gardening firms, civils clearances) windrows
    I guess most of that near 50kT was garden waste.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,858
    That sounds impressive @Reluctant_Gardener.  Whereabouts are you?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,264
    Steephill, “nobody rakes the forest”?  Some people do.😁

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwL6GWYg34M

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    Hilarious, I love the comments,  Make America rake again.
    We used to have loads of leaves in this garden, bordered by huge old beech trees, my dad never raked them. They’d cover the borders and the lawn, by the flowing year they’d be gone, somewhere, but he laughed at me when I was out there raking them, he asked if I had all the wintertime on my hands, because the same amount will be back tomorrow.
    I’ve  had the trees lopped a bit now for safety so not quite so bad, but they really do seem to disappear . 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nicktennickten Posts: 105
     I'm with your dad Lyn, I love the look of the leaves on the ground like patchwork leather plus it's good for all sorts of beasts.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,327
    pansyface said:
    Steephill, “nobody rakes the forest”?  Some people do.😁

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwL6GWYg34M

Brilliant.

What a clown.