Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners green tax

• @Fairygirl:£49 is about £1 per week, which seems pretty reasonable to me.  However, it would make sense if, when accessing the council's website, the information was easily retrievable.  I couldn't find the figure, so why they try to keep it a secret is a mystery.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,922
    If your council website isn’t clear tell your local councillors 

The Norwich site is very good https://www.norwich.gov.uk/info/20185/garden_waste_service/1260/how_the_garden_waste_service_works
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 14,721
    It depends what they spend the money on. The money for services cut by the government has to come from somewhere.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,721
    How many bucket-sized  cups of designer coffee  or stuffed crust spiced offal pizzas would a person need to forego to afford pay to get their garden waste removed? Not everyone agrees with the definition of a rip off
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    That has little or no bearing on Council Tax and paying for garden waste bins. 
    Im not bitter or resentful ... I think I get pretty good value for money for my contribution to our society's coffers ... the services I get from pooling my money with the rest of you means that it costs me far less to dispose of my waste than it would if I had to arrange and fund it as an individual  😊 👍  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Not ‘telling off’ 😂 just me continuing on the original theme rather than following the tangent ... but I do feel that to suggest that all taxes are the same or go into the same pot is disingenuous and misleading  :/

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,429
    Just had the latest bill from our local council.  Now £46 for the year.  Our next door neighbour refuses to pay and dumps the lawn mowings in the normal bin.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    They could take my £1.00 a week out of the £50.00 a week I already pay.  I won’t pay it. 
    Just had my monthly email from Eden Project,  ‘ we must all make our own compost’  what’s that all about then? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,858
    Been following this thread with interest.  Last night we had a Sainsbury's Lasagne for dinner which came in the new very natty pale grey container. This morning I looked at it and thought I'd better wash that out for recycling. Couldn't get all the debris out so ran the hot tap, put some washing-up liquid on it and spent several minutes diligently scrubbing it out - then I paused and thought what the hell was I doing and what was the environmental cost of the hot water and the washing-up liquid?  My time is precious to me as well and I would much rather be gardening than washing recycling stuff.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,182
    That is a bug for me too @Lizzie27. You get told to wash them, costing us time and money, then they go into our bins( not the cleanest of things), dust carts and then processing centre. Where they are put on mucky conveyor belts and are sorted into bins or even outside holding areas, until processed by machines cutting them up and washing them at that point. Are we wasting time and money.🙄