Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners green tax

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,284
    Totally agree @purplerallim
    Doesn't mean we should keep doing what we do, but sometimes you wonder why you bother  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I tried to find out up to date information on our council website to determine the actual cost of our green waste collection.  Apparently Mid Devon likes to keep this a secret (until they send out a renewal notice, presumably) since I couldn't find the information.

I don't have a problem with a reasonable levy on green waste collection.  I do have a problem with the local waste site charging stupid amounts of money for simple things for disposal.  (A bag of garden stones that have been dug up are classified as "rubble" for which a premium has to be paid!)  And then they grizzle about fly-tipping and the costs of clearing it up.  
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,327
    Hmm.

I did a little more research, and this might throw the cat amongst the pigeons:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-48049286

(Reading) council is forecast to make more than £440,000 in extra money from garden waste collection charges in the next year, figures show.

- April 2019
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    So we can supply, pay for its collections then they can sell it to the compost makers who put it in little plastic bags and we can pay again. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• @Hexagon:  Thanks for the link.  I have already made my concerns known to the council.  Another source tells me the annual charge is £49.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,926
    What’s the problem with the council making money?  ... it doesn’t go into the councillors’ pockets 🤣  ... it goes to offset costs and keep out council tax down 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,284
    49 quid a year doesn't sound a lot to me. When you think how readily people buy coffees, or newspapers/magazines etc every week. 

I'm not sure our council sells compost back to us. Never really thought about it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,327
    What’s the problem with the council making money?  ... it doesn’t go into the councillors’ pockets 🤣  ... it goes to offset costs and keep out council tax down 👍 
    If the council is going to charge us for collecting green waste, I think the correct approach is for them to be covering the running costs of collecting green waste...not charging double and using extra paid by gardeners on who knows what else.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,926
    On its legal responsibilities I would hope ... education, social care, support for those with learning and other disabilities, libraries, policing ... and the collection and disposal of waste, amongst many other things .... the councillors we elect help to decide the priorities. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh