Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners green tax

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,425
    josusa47 said:
    Our council does it different:  we pay £1.50 each for the garden waste bags, but the collection is free until the bag falls to bits and you have to buy a new one. 
    The hidden bonus of living in a windy part of the world is that green waste bags are readily available sticking out of most hedgerows and ditches. The bin men are pretty good about throwing the bags back onto your drive but if it's not nailed down around here then it blows away at some point. The bags are free though so people just keep ordering new ones.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,864
    It is strange that there are so many different systems around the country with green waste collection being free in some areas but attracting a fee in others. In this area it all goes to be composted along with food waste.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,722
    Sometimes they chuck the food waste in with the garden stuff and sometimes they don't. I suspect it all gets mixed in the depot.
    Does anyone know if it's ok to put a paper towel covered in/containing food waste into the food bin? They say it's ok to wrap stuff in newspaper if you havent got compost bags.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    B3 said:
    Burial/cremation is an issue too so I don't think that works either @Lyn😕
    Green burials are not so bad, no glued up laminated coffins,  just a bio degradable cotton shroud. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

What about methane?
  • It's a puzzle that not all councils operate the same system for collecting waste, but I think it makes sense when some charge for garden waste collection if the area is urban with a majority of properties with no garden.  Those who say they don't pay for collection are in fact already paying for it via their council tax, and people who live in homes with no garden don't need that service. 

The system here works as follows:

recyclable waste - including food - every week.

non-recyclable waste twice monthly.

garden waste twice monthly.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,425
    If they charged for it around here it would just get dumped in the woods. I mean some green waste still gets dumped in the woods despite the collection service being free but there's just no helping some people.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,858
    I pay £84 pa for 2 green waste bins collected every 2 weeks and also have 3 compost bins on the go. If the green waste bins are full and we've got lots of hedge cuttings, OH goes to the tip - which is a right pain in Bath as it's tiny and the queues usually stretch along the main road in both directions. They are planning to move it right out of Bath which will mean even more traffic across the City. Not sure what the solution is.
    I get the impression that in our area, the people who look after their gardens are likely to use the brown wheelies. The people who would be likely to dump stuff don't look after their gardens and therefore don't generate garden waste.
    I suppose household waste must be free or monitored. Dumped stuff seems to disappear within a couple of days.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,656
    This is such a big topic - great points being made.

I cant help thinking that we have made massive progress in the last decade or two, and this will surely continue (surely?). Remember the kitchen bin gone by - food waste stinking the bin out and the possibility of ‘bin juice’ leaking out 🤢 I can’t remember what we did we garden waste -  the odd tip trip and whatever we could cram in to the dustbin? 

We are largely tied to our local council’s facilities and ‘rules’ - why these differ so much is a bit bewildering. My garden waste collection is ‘free’, but my council tax is quite high. Similar to ‘free’ phone calls on a £40 per month tariff?! 

(I have edited out my rambling about how we all pay into the ‘pot’ for services we either don’t use, or over-use). 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.