Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners green tax

• B3B3 Posts: 14,722
    As part of the environment,whatever we do will have some effect somewhere along the line.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,137
    I pay £60 a year for my garden bin collected every 2 weeks.
    I can pack so much into it and My Mum's rubbish goes in there too.
    Of course I would rather have it for free,who wouldn't!
    My friend who has a very large garden was taking at least 2/3 trips to the local tip every week by car,now he has 2 wheelie bins that he can pack full and a trip to the tip is now a very rare occasion.
    My green kitchen waste now goes to my daughter who has her own compost heap.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,243
    pansyface said:

Compost heaps, successful ones, are full of oxygen.

Thats the problem, thats what creates the methane.  Council processes compost in the absence of oxygen.

There are lots of things that will continue to happen naturally in the world.  But thats not a good excuse for not trying to make improvements where we can 😇
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    @chicky, I too was thinking about lorryloads of garden waste trundling about the place and redistribution, presumably in plastic bags?? 
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,425
    Plus if you don't home compost you have to buy in more plastic-bagged compost from the garden centre and no one recycles compost bags yet. If you're an open-heap composter too you create a haven for local wildlife. Does the council facility incubate snake eggs and bumblebee nests?
  • chicky said:
    pansyface said:

Compost heaps, successful ones, are full of oxygen.

Thats the problem, thats what creates the methane.  Council processes compost in the absence of oxygen.

Methane-producing bacteria cannot grow in an oxygen environment, but other bacteria can use the oxygen, converting it to CO2. Without oxygen there can obviously be no CO2 production, so methane is produced instead.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,327
    I pay £65/yr for fortnightly collection and run three compost heaps and a couple of wood or turf piles.

Id happily have the council take all the ‘waste’ if that’s the science and they returned me decent compost, but paying at both ends doesn’t appeal.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,385
    Our council does it different:  we pay £1.50 each for the garden waste bags, but the collection is free until the bag falls to bits and you have to buy a new one.  They are talking about charging for the collection but I don't see how.  They'd have to put a microchip in each bag and a scanner in each lorry, otherwise what's to stop my neighbour putting his bags in front of my house?  On the plus side, it might encourage more home composting.  We're all gardeners on my side of the street, and we all put out green bags, but I think I'm the only home composter.  I put more in the green bags than I used to, having learnt the hard way which weeds come back to haunt me if I compost them.

I think I feel a poll coming on:  would you pay for a garden waste collection?  how much?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,494
    That’s it then, don't  buy compost in plastic bags, don’t make you’re own, don’t have ponds, don’t  eat meat, don’t fart, don't  go on an earoplane, don’t go on a ship, Don't take your car out, don’t put your heating on, don’t buy anything with batteries, I’ve said this before,  The only true greenie is a dead one. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 14,722
    Burial/cremation is an issue too so I don't think that works either @Lyn😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.