Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners green tax

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,284
    @Hostafan1 - 'lol' indeed  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 14,722
    We pay about £80/85 a year for our collection. I'm not too bothered about paying. It's worth it to get rid of sticks and other slow compost stuff. With the vicious cuts to council services, they need to get revenue from somewhere.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Why should we pay for green waste removal but not for recycle waste or land-fill waste? Councils can make money from selling composted green waste, but there is a shortage of land-fill sites.
    We do pay for it in the council tax.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    B3 said:
    We pay about £80/85 a year for our collection. I'm not too bothered about paying. It's worth it to get rid of sticks and other slow compost stuff. With the vicious cuts to council services, they need to get revenue from somewhere.
    Dare we mention Directors' salaries and somewhat generous pensions which also have to be paid for?
    Devon.
    I don't like to think about that😕
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,182
    It surprised me that new build houses have to buy all their bins (£50 each) plus the green bin collection for 11 months of £30 here. Never thought about it before, but just recently seen an article about it.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,243
    I have to admit to having conflicting thoughts about home composting now.  Went to a (deliberately) provocative talk at HC flower show, where the Chief Scientist at the RHS came out as an anti-home composter.  The reason they don’t like green waste going to landfill is that when it decomposes it creates methane (much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2).  Mr RHS argued that home composting on a small domestic scale creates just as much methane.  Whereas green waste composting on a council size scale is done in controlled (anaerobic) conditions, that stop waste gases being produced.  So should we ALL be sending our green waste to council facilities ?

Still have my compost heap, and there’s something about the transport emissions of collecting it all then redistributing it as soil improver ......  but it did get me thinking 🤔 
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Our 'kerbside' collection is half a mile from the house. We and others in a similar permission are allowed to use black bin bags, as wheelie bins are difficult or impossible to get into cars and they could cause a hazard left at the side of narrow country roads.
    I only use the  household waste collection, not garden waste or recycling, though I will be paying for all 3. I don't mind, it is the price I must pay to live somewhere as isolated as this!

I compost most things, but bag up things like flag iris and nettle roots, that regrow only too easily, and take them to the local recycling centre where I can dispose of them for  no extra cost. I do have bonfires too though, as with a large garden and many trees I get a lot of woody material. Bigger stuff feeds the woodburners in winter.

Recycling is sorted at home and delivered to collection centres at local supermarkets when I go down for the household shop.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,264
    edited September 2019
    Chicky, looking at the article, the methane argument would seem to be the other way round.

Compost heaps, successful ones, are full of oxygen.

Maybe Mr RHS has worked out a way to stop all the natural composting, full of nasty methane if he is to be believed, that goes on day in day out in every bit of garden and countryside the world over.🤔 We are in the season of composting - help! Don’t let those leaves fall! 😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.