Forum home Problem solving

Richard Webb

Hi

Anyone have any ideas about how to rescue this? All that is keeping it off the floor at the moment are some planks of wood.  I'm unsure how much damage will be done to the roots if I pull it upright and stake it though. Any ideas? Cut it right back and let it regrow straight?

Richard

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    Any idea what's caused the collapse and is the ground soft enough to hammer stakes in? If the roots are ok and likely to recover then I'd hammer in 2 stakes vertically with a cross bar in between with an adjustable tie. Then keep adjusting the tie to gradually pull the bush upright again. Keep the crossbar as high as possible for maximum leverage and make it a neat job because it's likley to be needed for a couple of years. It might be best to trim the foliage back a bit especially the right hand side too.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,598
    or just bite the bullet and remove it and replace with another one? or something else?
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,471
    I can see some serious bark damage on the trunk and that will affect the flow of nutrients upwards from the roots and lead to a long, slow death. 

I agree with Hosta.  Dig it out, refresh the soil and plant something more attractive and with a decent stake until is establishes itself.  Or just leave it grassed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,917
    Take some cuttings then get rid of it. It isn't going to survive with that damage to the stem.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    edited September 2019
    I've never understood the appeal of those , but judging by the condition of the grass it's growing in, it's probably been extremely dry. They don't like that.  :)
    I'd agree with @Obelixx and @Hostafan1 and see it as an opportuntiy for planting something new.
    A clear space for planting would be a good idea though @richwebb40 as it makes it difficult for plants of any kind to establish if you plant them into grass.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....