Forum home Wildlife gardening

wildlife pond

ive recently installed a small pond in my garden..the insects are starting to arrive wish i knew the names of them

• does anyone know what this is its on the bottom plant
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,832
    If you can take photos we're always happy to help identify them if we can :)
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    edited September 2019
    Many happy hours can be spent looking through these photos.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/taxonomy/term/22224

The bottom plant as in the dandelion? I can’t see nuffink.😕

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • @mvsalamanca92. That is a great effort and you will reap the benefits of having a pond when you see the birds and insects that are attracted to it.  I can't see an insect on a plant either, perhaps a close up picture would help us.
    In the meantime take a look at one of the google sites for insects found in and around garden ponds, you will find pond skaters, water boat men, perhaps in the spring there will be tadpoles, small newts and dragonflies too.  Check out the plants in and around your pond for insect attraction, adding these as and when you can get them and please do make sure there is a shallow end in the pond and either a floating log or branch that hedgehogs, frogs etc can use to get in and out of the pond if there isn't a beach area for them to use.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918
    I can't see nuffink neither @pansyface :)
    You need to take some close ups @mvsalamanca92, as already mentioned. 

Additions like the ones @Guernsey Donkey2mentions [logs etc] are highly beneficial for all sorts of insects, and also necessary for wildlife to hide amongst. The surrounding planting is equally as important as the pond planting.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• My best guess, doesn't help though.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,176
    Crumbs. I need to get my microscope out for that. Looks like a bit of twig.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.