Disease on a new Amelanchier

dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 402
Hello All,

i just got my first order from Ornamental Trees. The dwarf damson and the Cox trees are lovely, but the amelanchier has some very suspect greyish, scaly marks on the back of most of its leaves, including on fresh growth.
There are also many paler green spots on the top sides of the darker leaves, and white marks too (I can’t tell if this is a spray used by the grower or mould).

Do I need to worry or send it back? Is whatever it is going to sort itself out once the tree drops all its leaves in autumn, or is this a problem that could return, come spring?

I’ve been waiting weeks for these to arrive (a problem with the supplier, apparently) and the amelanchier in particular wasn’t cheap, so I’m feeling disappointed and a bit miffed 😒

Here are some photos.

Thanks in advance for any advice 😊

🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 402
    Bumping 
    🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,047
    Bumping 
    What do you mean, "bumping"? Only 1 hour and a half after your original post! People on this forum are usually quite reactive, but you must show a little patience!
    Re your amelanchier I shouldn't worry too much. It's going to lose it's foliage soon anyway.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,214
    I agree with Papi Jo. The leaves will drop soon. It looks like possible powdery mildew, and that should not be an issue provided you plant it in soon and make sure it's well watered over the next couple of years.
  • Contact your supplier.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,002
    Presumably you're going to plant it? As the others have said, it's probably a bit of powdery mildew, and does no harm long term. It should recover over winter. 
    They do like a good bit of moisture, so ensure it gets that on planting, and afterwards if there's a long dry spell where you are. By spring it should be fine.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,806
    I would mention it to the supplier if you want to cover any future problems, they will more than likely reassure you.
    The sooner it's in the ground and gets a chance to get established, the better. The leaves will drop off soon anyway as others have said. l suspect it may be due to stress, or just the way it's been kept at the nursery. Amelanchiers are lovely trees, and it should give you many years of pleasure.  :)
    edited 24 September
    Papi Jo said:
    Bumping 
    What do you mean, "bumping"? Only 1 hour and a half after your original post! People on this forum are usually quite reactive, but you must show a little patience!
    Re your amelanchier I shouldn't worry too much. It's going to lose it's foliage soon anyway.
    I was hoping to get a response before contacting supplier.
    (’bumping’ after 1.5 hours is hardly a crime, by the way. It’s a free world)
    We haven’t all got the time to be on this forum day in, day out, as some of us work full time, so it’s a luxury to get the time to post.
    Thanks to all you lovely people who took the time to reassure me - the supplier also said that it’s a bit of powdery mildew from the long journey cooped up in a box and that the rest is just the leaves doing their autumnal thing.
    Its amazing to be able to get such good advice from people on this site, particularly when it’s subject I know very little about.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,002
    That's good that you had a bit of reassurance from the supplier too @dappledshade.
    It's always worth asking the question, as it's not in their best interest for someone to be unhappy with their purchases.
    It's always tricky when plants of any kind are being posted/delivered. Hope you get a good result with it next year. They're lovely :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I cannot wait to see the new, bronze leaves in spring! Always wanted one, but never had the space.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,806
    The blossom is always pretty good too   :)