Forum home Problem solving

Rose Claude monet not thriving

I planted the climbing rose Claude monet in a large pot against a trellis. Full sun plenty of good soil and food. Planted last October. Not thriving. Not climbing much. Small buds that go brown before they open fully. Leaves are now being eaten. Should it cut right back. Or replant into ground? 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,317
    @Marlorena may be able to advise  :)
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,724
    Climbers are famously vigorous, they never do well in pots. If you can plant it in the ground with lots of organic matter, it will do much better.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,471
    How often do you water it and have you fed it?   Roses are hungry, thirsty plants and, in my experience, can take a year or two to settle in their roots and start to perform well above ground.

In a pot, your rose is entirely dependent on you for water as rainfall will never be enough except in winter.  Also, nutrients in planting composts are only good for about 90 days so you need to add a generous amount of slow release food every spring and then give weekly liquid feeds thru the growing season, even in its first year.

If you can't do this I would definitely advise planting it in the ground this autumn while the soil is still warm.  Make sure the graft union is below soil level, water well before and after planting and give it a good mulch of well-rotted garden compost and/or manure.   Prune it back to shorten the stems as tho it were a bare root rose so it's easier to handle.    Remember to feed it each spring. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks for your help. Will definitely feed and water more. See how it goes until next autumn. If that doesnt help. Will plant in the ground.