Forum home Problem solving

Escallonia leaf spot

I've identified escallonia leaf spot on a fairly old established shrub. I understand that the remedy is to cut back hard, and feed and water. But I'm not clear whether I have to cut out all the affected leaves. If so, then ther will be nothing left at all. It is substantially reduced now and I wonder if it will recover without further drastic action, rather like a rose survives having black spot without having to completely defoliate the plant.
Can anyone please advise me?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,834
    Been there. Done that. No hope. After a first spread of disease on well established escallonia specimens, I cut them back hard. They reacted well, with nice regrowth ... and the disease appeared again after one year. Gave them the final solution, uprooted and threw them away. I don't regret them at all, there are plenty of nicer shrubs available!
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • That's sad, as I'd like to keep it. Maybe I'll give it another year too, as I think it's due to the very dry weather we've had.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 572
    I have Escallonia mac. 'Iveyii' which suffered dreadfully from leaf spot last year. I cut some of it back (it's a large shrub, about 6' x 8') and this year sprayed the foliage regularly with a dilute liquid seaweed solution (Maxicrop) to feed the foliage. Nowhere near as much blackspot appeared and I quickly picked off any affected leaves as they appeared, also cleared up any that had fallen.
    I don't intend to lose my shrub, it's part of a mixed hedge with my neighbour.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • That's encouraging - thanks for this input. I am going to investigate fungicides mentioned on the RHS website, but not sure if I will use one. I will definitely use seaweed feed and keep an eye on new growth, as I intend to keep it if I can.