Forum home Problem solving

25+ year old Forest Flame, loosing leaves!

Please help!
My old pieris is looking very unwell.  I love this plant. It was handed down to me and I’ve always taken it with me. It’s potted.  I moved it approximately 8months ago to a very windy garden with a bit of shade in the afternoon. The plant just recently flowered but now it’s leaves are going brown and falling out. I’m not 100% sure why.  I also noticed the plant next to in (Lychee grown from seed with my Nan some 30 years ago) is going brown prematurely too and some branches are looking a little deadened. This however has never flowered.  I love these plants, so many memories, would hate to loose them both. :(

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    It's in a pot - that's the problem.
    They need a lot of attention in pots. Has it ever had the soil changed? Ever been repotted? Eventually, the pot contains very little other than roots, and a shrub can't sustain itself  if that's the case. 
    They need quite a lot of water too, and appreciate some shade. Wind will dehydrate them too. Once a shrub like that gets dried out, it's difficult to rehydrate them. You need to submerge them completely until thoroughly soaked.  :)
    A photo would help too
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....