Hedge Recommendations - Design Competition

DuggyfreshDuggyfresh MidlandsPosts: 22
edited 22 September in Garden design

Hi All - Thanks to all the fantastic advice from several members on this forum here's a photo of my summer garden clearance project after its very first haircut! The new turf has established nicely (water water water) and its nearly time to start seriously thinking about planting the hedges to finish it off and hopefully create the simple but effective lowish maintenance garden we are after . . .(think kids / football / dog - think mowing and hedgecutting only) 

As per forum advice you can see we have a 2-2.5ft border that runs on both sides and across the back - these are 25metres / 80ft plus long, the dimension across the back is 10 metres / 32ft wide. The plan has always been to plant hedges that are quick(ish) growing and easy to maintain to obscure the ugly but necessary dog (but seemingly not fox!) proof wire & post fencing and return some privacy from our neighbours on three sides. 

FYI the left & right hand runs are relatively 'clear' in terms foliage on the neighbours sides - the shorter run on the rear does still have some significant large laurel stumps that have been cut short but could not be ground out for fear of collapsing the neighbours 70's style boundary wall (see above) They've been copper nailed but may never perish as they are already showing new growth shoots etc. . 

Garden is North Facing but receives decent sun at the height of the day - no major shading obstacles from either side (other than tree at rear LHS as stated) 

So considering the above the brief (unfortunately the winner of this comp will receive nothing but thanks and a methaphoric gold star from me) is to specify a hedge / hedge(s) that we can plant on three runs to make the garden complete - we do have some specifics

1 - Price. We want to plant whips / bare root only, however we 'may' consider an alternative for the rear run (more established potted plants) if this is considered a key point of difference. (eg. something like photinia here - could mix well with laurel stump growth over time?)

2 - Height. Would like the hedges to grow to 5-6ft and keep them at this height (the part timber fence adjacent on the LHS is 6ft) Bear in mind the tree at the rear of the LHS - this will potentially be part obscured and therefore need cutting around. The rear width 'run' could ultimately be higher if necessary to create a bit more cover. 

3 - Depth / Density. Don't want them to infringe the lawn area too much (as it will make overall garden too narrow but want it deep / dense enough to look like a decent hedge as well as grow through to the neighbours side so they can also 'lose' the ugly wire fence. 

4 - Style. Formal(ish) but not box privet formal. Natural but not wild! eg. like the density a mature photinia gives without it looking overtly 'tight' when cut. Don't really like the informality of 'mixed native' but would not be averse to a single British type hedge (convince me!) 

This is an urban garden - like the idea of symmetry so specification for LHS & RHS should be the same in my mind) The rear as previously mentioned could be something different as its a key visual point from the house looking out. 

5 - Maintenance. Evergreen if poss as do not want to spend time clearing inordinate amounts of falling leaves in autumn (I have 2x massive beech bushes in the front and although these are pretty hardy and look great they are a pain in terms of dealing with the excess leaves) Something that looks good but only needs a couple of trims a year would be good

6 - Dog Friendly. NO poisonous berries my daft mutt can swallow

Hope the above is enough info (!!!) Would love to know your thoughts together with full rationale and specific planting advice!

PS. Anyone with Photoshop skills that can insert said 'bushes' in perspective gets extra points / kudos!

Cheers,   Chris

• HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    edited 22 September
    A competition with no prize?! 🏆

My vote goes to some kind of cupressus or leylandii. No berries and easy to trim twice a year with a nice dense screen.

• DuggyfreshDuggyfresh MidlandsPosts: 22
    edited 22 September
    @Hexagon - an emotional gold star and the lifelong adulation of both myself and fellow GW forum members in answering the brief most appropriately. . .no GDPR compliance required!

Good start so thanks - thinking Leylandii is a little 'too' formal and will required the tops being cut in a perfect line. Also next door have this on the LHS and they have already said its a pain . . so don't want to double their angst (and believe me they've been angstful about the whole project so far . .lol) 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 939
    I get the impression that you might work in science. Maybe analytical chemistry.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,004
    Yew or Hornbeam. Both can be kept tight and at a suitable height.
    Escallonia perhaps. 

You'll lose some of the grass probably - due to the shade created. With any hedge. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

edited 22 September
    @Hexagon . . .lol . . .nice try - weirdly or not I'm a designer (Brand / Retail) and we are creative nerds so could do the photoshop myself - however, don't have the specification or application knowledge on this subject! 

@Fairygirl - Not sure about Yew but love the leaves on hornbeam and I think you've got the formal vs informal possibly right . . .however does it shed leaves for fun a la beech . . ?

Also if you were going to mix hornbeam 50/50 with something what would that be?

Liking the Escallonia - would this go at the back? Would it mix with laurel stump growth? Is it thorny? Will it grow high enough . . ?

And the winner is . . . . .me!

Going for Elaeagnus Ebbingei on the flanks and Photinia Fraseri for contrast at the rear - being planted next week! A new pair of Fiskars shears are being awarded in readiness . 

Photos to be posted once established . . .cheers

TIP - Buying plants off a reputable local wholesaler - much better value than online!