2»

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,353
    Lyn said:
    Hexagon said:
    Agree with Lyn, cut them all level.
    Ok so I can’t draw a straight level  line 😀
     :D 

I agree   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,561
    Has anyone got any comment on the idea of putting half decomposed kitchen waste and lawn clippings in the planting trench? Strikes me that there's potential for that to deplete oxygen (and maybe nitrogen?) during further decomposition.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,075
    Don't know Will,   All that stuff goes in my compost bins..
    I’ve got Laurels growing out of stone walls, hardly any soil at all, can’t see that they need anything. 
    When I planted our long hedge, I put some compost down in the planting hole, watered, cut them back then left them,  the time to do this is winter so they get the winter rains, after that the roots went down far enough to find their own moisture. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,561
    edited October 2019
    Just concerned his idea of putting half composted waste into the hole might create a stinky half-decomposed layer that doesn't do the plants much good. I would be more inclined to put fully composted stuff on as a mulch... as you say the roots have all winter to establish unlike last time, when he planted them in spring. So they will be more drought resilient. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,353
    I agree with Lyn. They don't need much once they get going. Water from the sky is the best nutrition. I suppose when you plant something that's been 'cultivated' they need a bit more help initially, but I don't think the half compost could do any real harm. 
    I have a little bin in the kitchen for food waste, and when I've empty it, I rinse it out and chuck it behind shrubs in the border. There's usually a little bit of mould, debris and the odd remnant of skanky tea bag in there. Doesn't seem to be a problem. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,614
    I agree with you @WillDB
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • I'm not sure I'd be too worried about using compost - I'd suggest actually introduce some horticultural grit to improve the drainage given that you have clay soil. If going down the bare root stock route then some microrhyzal fungus sprinkled on the roots should help settle the new laurel in. And if it turns out to be dry (unlikely I know) then don't forget to keep them watered. Portugese Laurel are usually pretty hardy - have moved a fair few in my time. Good luck. 
  • So . . . . it seems that I'll be out there with my cutters for a good hard clipping

The survivors have a good thick layer of fresh grass cuttings on top of the compost now just to make sure

The new plants to go in - I'll use the part-composted material as more of a mulch on the top.  Incidentally had a recent dig at it and I think it might be more done than I'd realised, so more to the good.  Started a new bin full now anyway so that can wait til it's cooked before using

Also have some microrhyzal fungus left from the previous go to sprinkle on the roots

Feeling a whole lot more educated and optimistic about what to do now  . . . .
    . . . . thanks to all, know you have your fingers crossed for me
  • dave240dave240 Posts: 6
    Hi, so 6 months on all the old plants look a whole lot happier and the new ones are settling in well.  Reckon by next year it will look like a half decent hedge.  Have put down a soaker pipe to make sure they all get enough water to keep them happy.  Lovin' the sun.

So now is it just a case of sticking my grass clippings on the top (with a bit of clearance round the plants), weeding out and first year watering? Know the blackbirds love throwing grass cuttings everywhere.  Will also do a shaping cut back and compost early autumn

Thanks again for your help