Forum home Problem solving

Golden celebration rose

Hi
We were given two Golden Celebration roses, one a shrub and one a climber last summer. They are both in a sunny position and are full of healthy green foliage. Unfortunately we have very few flowers which when they do appear are so heavy they bend the branches almost to the ground and only last for a couple of days. We have grown roses before with great success but are very disappointed with these. Does anyone have any ideas what we are doing wrong.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    My shrub one did the same for the first two years but the stems seemed to be stronger this year and the flowers didn't droop.
    SW Scotland
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,267
    I have read that until the root system of the plants matches the growth above ground there will be insufficient sap to keep the flower heads erect.

David Austin roses do seem to suffer a lot from this problem. Mine took about five years to buck up.

As Joyce says, wait a few years (until the roots have developed) and things will get better.

They really should tell customers to expect this.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,559
    Golden Celebration naturally produces long, arching stems, whether its a shrub or a climber is all down to how they are pruned, it’s exactly the same plant. In my experience it definitely wants to be a climber, exacerbated by my warmer climate, where it sends up ridiculously long canes that flop everywhere. I have given up trying to keep it in a shrub form, it’s impossible! Those in cooler climes have more success, I think.

By training the long stems to near horizontal along a trellis or wires attached to a fence, you will get bud break along the length of the stems and thus more blooms. The canes will strengthen up over time and be better able to support the big blooms, especially with some support. 

So you are not doing anything wrong, as others have said, it usually takes 3 or more years for a David Austin rose to settle down and behave how you would expect it to, but this is definitely one of the more wayward Austins...
  • Thanks everyone. I guess we’ll just have to be patient!
  • Thanks Muddle-up. I have an obelisk so may try transplanting it.