Forum home Problem solving

Lemon tree leaves.

Can anyone identify these things on the underside of the leaves please (photo taken after being sprayed).

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    Scale insects, very common on lemon trees.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Dabbing them with a cotton bud soaked in methylated spirits will kill them and is often the recommended method.  Their 'shells' are impervious to insecticidal sprays so only a systemic type (which is taken into the plant tissues) would work.  However, there is no way I would use any insecicide on something I was going to later eat (fingers crossed you get some lemons.)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you all.
  • Thanks for this post. I have a lemon tree that occasionally has this problem, and I've never been sure what to do!
    Right now there are 12 fruits on the tree which I'm looking forward to.

• SB Plant Invigorator in a high pressure sprayer sorted mine out. It must be in a high pressure sprayer, the sort you have to pump up first, in order for it to work. A normal trigger sprayer won’t do the trick. I treated mine about 3 times and no more scale bug having suffered with it for ages! 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SB-Plant-Invigorator-500ml-Concentrate/dp/B00BIG471S

• Toby Buckland sold me some at his nurseries at Powderham Castle, it worked on some other veg.