Forum home Problem solving

Heron protection

we have a few fish in our new large pond and a heron is now popping in.Any ideas that don’t look like Fort Knox?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    They're wading birds, but only in shallows. You can buy rings which interlock and can be put round the edges of ponds.

Otherwise, accept it's part of the natural process of nature, or fit a metal grid over the pond if it's a small one   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,508
    Hello Sarah. Pond netting i.e. the floating interlocking disc types and fish shelters like lengths of drain pipes, where they can hide away from prying herons are useful.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    I planted low growing Juniperus squamata Blue Star around my pond. Herons won't step on it as it's spikey and bouncy but they take time to get to a size where they provide enough cover around the edges.
    I previously used a heron scarer connected to a hose - that did work, but also worked on anyone walking up the garden - which was often amusing :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,508
    @Pete.8 Thank you for giving me a smile this morning - you put a wonderful picture of soaked posties and other random passers by in my head!
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable