Forum home Wildlife gardening

What is living under our playhouse

Can anyone identify what animal have moved in under my sons playhouse? I've filled the hole back in a good few times but by morning the hole is there again and bigger!many thanks 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,474
    Hello Debbie and welcome to the forum. Would it be possible to give us an idea of the size of this hole please.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hi Ladybird4 thank you. I havent actually measured the hole but will do first thing tomorrow and update. Many thanks for your reply
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,474
    You are most welcome Debbie.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,845
    It would be helpful to give us your location too. I'm assuming you're UK based? But urban/countryside, rough part of the country would give a clue too. No sign of any droppings I take it? Or maybe paw prints in the loose dirt?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Hi Wild Edges I'm in Glasgow urban area. No signs of droppings anywhere near. No paw prints visible it is mainly a grass area around our playhouse just a small section on sand round the actual playhouse building. Thanks for replying. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,845
    Well the two main suspects are going to be rats or foxes. I'd think you'd notice or at least smell foxes though. I'm not ruling out a ferret like animal but I'm leaning towards rats. Do you or the neighbours feed the birds?

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Thank you . None of my neighbours feed the birds. We have always had a lot of fox activity in the gardens on my street regularly see them pass through the gardens in the mornings too. Ahh rats I hadn't even thought of that. The plan was for the sand area  to be concreted round next week but unsure now about that now 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,626
    Have you tried putting a phone in the hole to take a photo, might give you an idea of how much has been removed under there, or even its resident. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954
    I'd say foxes @Debbiegilmour1. You may find some 'evidence' of them around, if you know what I mean. Lots of youngsters at this time of year, investigating everything.

The urban ones are very bold. I'm further out of Glasgow, and bordering farmland, but they stroll around during the day on a regular basis here  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....