Forum home Plants

Poorly hydrangea

zakzakzakzak Posts: 121
I had a pink hydrangea in a large pot. By accident I've given it normal plant food 😟 making the flowers turn blue. And the leaves are shrivling and drying up. Will it recover or is it ready for the bin.

• AstroAstro Posts: 386
    Hydrangeas will be shriveled and moving into autumn phase, might it just be that? Mine  is in dappled shade and half of the flowers are dried, hydrangeas in full sun have been dried out for awhile.
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    edited September 2019
    I found mine this morning looking very sad so I gave them a bucket of water it's fine now. As to plant food I just give it what I am giving most of my plant which is ordinary plant food. Three are in pots and two in the ground. I didn't know you were meant to give them a different plant food.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 28,818
    Give it a good drink to help it recover.  Flowers will turn pink for next year if you feed it something alkaline such as hard tap water, or just scatter some garden lime around the base when you give it its spring feed.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • zakzakzakzak Posts: 121
    Thank you for all replays. I will keep my fingers crossed.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,236
    If it's in a pot, you need to be really vigilant about care, especially watering. It will need refreshing and probably repotting regularly to keep it thriving.
    I wouldn't worry about the feed - that's a temporary setback.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,046
    Normally people are doing all they can to keep their blue hydrangeas from turning pink, not the other way round!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,236
    There's a good way to stop that though @WillDB.

Prune them to the ankles every year..... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...