Forum home Wildlife gardening

Yellow Flag and small ponds

Having just pulled out the yellow flag that we've had growing in our pond for 5 years, I find I'm reluctant to replant even a small piece of it. I'll confess I did give it a free rein so I can't really blame it. Though it was a titanic struggle as the roots had formed a huge mat, I used a knife first but had to resort to a saw. Who needs gym membership when you have gardening?

While I acknowledge it as a beautiful plant, I think it needs regular dividing in a smaller pond or it will take over. There is a soft rush in a basket that had totally disappeared, hopefully it will pick up now, ditto the lily. Loads of frogs though, of all sizes which I was pleased about. I left the other side of the pond intact so as not to destroy the pond's ecosystem.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    edited September 2019
    Well done for getting it out, I think your pond is too small for that.
    yellow flag and small pond is an oxymoron.😀
    have you still got the water forget me not in there, I’ll be thinning mine soon? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,876
    I grow it outside the pond. It gives a nice pondy look but it doesn't need to grow in the water.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,274
    Thanks Lyn but I stink of ponds now  :s
    I didn’t know that WE,  I may dig some of mine out and plant at the edge. Fishy65 said:
    Thanks Lyn but I stink of ponds now  :s
    Is that a yes or a no?😀

Ah now that's an idea wild edges  :) Thank you.
    The water forget me not disappeared long ago Lyn. Would you like some geum rivale in return?
    Be nice, good swap thank you 🙂

The clump in the pic below is in the ground. The pond overflows and keeps the ground moist I suppose and the ground is shaded but I've seen it growing in full sun. If your soil dries out quickly then you can always bury a large pot or plastic liner to hold some moisture in.

That’s lovely bee friendly corner.

That bowles mauve has flowered its socks off this year. It's still covered in bees now.