Forum home Plants

Flower seeds to sow direct now.

B3B3 Posts: 21,450
Can anyone recommend some flower seeds suitable to sow now for next year?
Thanks
In London. Keen but lazy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,566
    Been wondering about this myself for if and when we get enough rain to moisten the soil while it's still warm enough for seeds to germinate.   As ever, I checked the RHS site and it came up with this advice - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=390

I'm thinking of marigolds for the potager but also more ammi as the one I was given last year seeded itself again this year and has been brilliant in a bed on the shadier north side of our ruin.  I'd also like to try nigella and annual cornflowers in a cut flower bed.   

First tho, I have to wait for OH to clear weeds and old potatoes and the toms when they go over.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,450
    There's some interesting ones on the list. The area was covered in nigella this year so I've been thinning it out. I like the idea of cornflowers and marigolds together.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,566
    The marigolds would be for veggie companion planting for me but yes, they'd work with cornflowers.  I never got nigella to grow in Belgium so am looking forward to trying it here and hope it likes it better.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,450
    Good luck. It pops up all over the place here, but I wouldn't be without it
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,878
    I’ve just collected and scattered ammi, poppies, cornflowers, hellebore seeds. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,451
    Is it worth direct sowing fennel now, or better to wait until spring?
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,338
    Do slugs like Poppies? I put seeds in this time last year,and never had any sign of a plant. 
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 356
    Are people tending to drop them in specific places so they grow in clumps or a general scattering that pops up throughout the border/ growing area?