Forum home Wildlife gardening

what's invading my bee hotel

I have a bee hotel for mason bees I bought at Costco.
I have noticed that in addition to the typical holes filled up with mud, I see quite a few holes with dead grass or straw blocking up the hole. Is this from an unwanted visitor or justy another loner insect that is beneficial?

• BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    Just sit and watch when you get 5 
  • A little more help would be appreciated.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 567
    Did you see Gardeners World last week? There was a bit about bee hotels and the different kinds of solitary bees. You might be able to watch it on catch up, it might give you some ideas 🐝
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    Assuming you're in the UK then it's likely to be one of the leaf cutter bees. The straw is probably cut up sections of leaf but if you can take a pic then it would be easier to tell.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Here you go. Not in UK. Couldn't find a forum in US that was suitable.
    Maybe a grass carrying wasp? To be honest this forum is UK based and not many people here will have much knowledge of US wildlife. You might get lucky though. I think the best advice is to spend some time watching the box and try and see if you can spot the creature as it brings nest material in.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    If you don't have time to watch - it might be worth getting a little camera. They aren't too expensive.
    There are also wildlife sites which you can submit photos to @full.name - perhaps worth trying that to see if they can help? 
    Vey exciting though - would be great to find out what it is.  :)

Is that a common thing @wild edges- a grass carrying wasp? 
    I'm going to have to look that up now  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Apparently they're very common in North America and have now been accidently introduced to parts of Europe @Fairygirl . Maybe we'll even end up with some over here eventually. They stock their nests with grasshoppers though so they might not be so welcome in places where grasshoppers are now in short supply.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    I had a look online @wild edges and it seems there are some in the south of England. 
    https://thelandtrust.org.uk/news/new-britain-grass-carrying-wasp-discovered-greenwich-eco-park/?doing_wp_cron=1568711358.2000830173492431640625

How far they get remains to be seen. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Interesting find FG. I wonder how long they've been here? They were discovered there in 2016 but it's a well studied area so I guess they might be elsewhere and no one knew.