Forum home The potting shed

Why is it so hard to get hold of anyone these days??

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,272
Email,mobile,landline,facebook,twitter,website,text,letter etc. etc.........
With the plethora of ways to contact someone these days why is it SO hard to get anyone to get back to you,or turn up or say at the very least that they cannot do the work?
I just want some building work done in the garden,this has been going on since April!!
Getting really cheesed off now!  :s
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,552
    Know the feeling. We have had work done on this bungalow by the people who responded rather than looking for quotes from various tradesmen. Fortunately the ones we ended up with have all done excellent work, but it could have been disastrous.
    According to the News people are not having work done, in which case why is it that every builder in this area has a list of jobs as long as your arm?
    As for the "We'll ring you back!" that immediately means a no job  for that company in this house.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,242
    I'd say it's because of all those methods of " communication" you list. 
    Folk delude themselves that they're " keeping in touch " but it's just reading post it notes unless you actually speak to someone. 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    When I had my extension done, I immediately disregarded all the one who replied to MR. S *******, despite my emails stating otherwise.
    As a single female, if they can't get that right, or are under the outdated impression it must have been the 'man of the house' doing the enquiring, they can jog on. 
    I actually contacted them and said so. Funny - never got a reply from any of them. 
    Mind you - I had a leak in the new bit [which turned out wasn't caused by the builder] but I emailed him and just asked if he could take a look in case it was something simple. I also contacted a local, very reliable firm who do roofing/roughcasting etc. That was last December. The gable wall was redone in January, by the local firm. Still waiting for the original builder to come round.... ;)
    @madpenguin - it's really frustrating isn't it? I don't know why they can't understand that people would rather not be lied to. Just tell us it'll be 6 weeks or whatever. At least then we know you're probably a good company because you're busy!
    I had one firm contact me about the extension job @Palustris, so I replied and said great - can you come round to take a look etc? Never got back to me.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dave125dave125 Posts: 164
    I only have one rule in my business or regarding employing builders etc. If they call me "mate" then I don't deal with them. Sounds ridiculous but it's served me well.
    Luv Dave
  • Quite right Dave me old mucker.
  • Looks like I'm just about to step into the minefield. We have decided our windows and door need replacing I have one company but need to get two more to come round and give us a quote I never accept estimates   
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,272
    Well after saying all that I have just had a call from one of the 3 builders I contacted!
    Should be coming Wednesday evening (we shall see!).
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,022
    When we had our sunroom built I asked our local builder if he could do it, it worked out half the price that the DG salesmen had quoted. Same with the the new windows and French doors.  I don’t know why they cost so much through the Double glazing companies. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Fingers crossed @madpenguin :)
    They factor in all the sh*te @Lyn, including the HP payments. A decent joiner can do it. We had French doors put into the bedroom at the last house. The doors were about 800 quid, as they were quite substantial, and then it was just the joiner's time fitting them. Since they were doing all the other work on the house, it just disappeared into the general cost.
    We did the same at the house round the corner. I hate to think what it would have cost through a firm, but knowing how expensive it was to have windows put in my flat many decades ago, I know it wouldn't have been cheap ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,272
    Here we have a local Double Glazing firm that I always use and have recommended to lots of people.
    Not expensive,do a really good job and very reliable.
    Also have a reliable plumber and electrician,once you have a good one hang on to them!!!