Forum home The potting shed

World's biggest coffee morning

Who is doing this annual event for MacMillan Cancer Support?

This year, my church is doing it for the first time.  We have a coffee morning every Friday, so this will fit nicely alongside.  We'll be offering free tea, coffee and biscuits as we usually do, but will also be selling home-made cakes.

If you go on MacMillan's website, you can find out where there's one near you.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,581
    We do it in work - we have keen bakers,and eaters, so we usually raise a fair amount. We often do over two or three days, as we work shifts . We add a ‘Bake Off’ style award for the best cake too. There are stickers, bunting, table cloth etc in the fundraising pack. I hope yours is successful, and a bit of fun too. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    AuntyRach said:
    We do it in work - we have keen bakers,and eaters, so we usually raise a fair amount. We often do over two or three days, as we work shifts . We add a ‘Bake Off’ style award for the best cake too. There are stickers, bunting, table cloth etc in the fundraising pack. I hope yours is successful, and a bit of fun too. 
    It's great fun and for a good cause rach
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,338
    edited September 2019

I had hours of phun making the newspaper carrier bags for people who wanted to take cakes home.  They were much admired, as was Caroline's wickedly squishy Victoria sponge.  Crowds of people came, many of whom had never been in our church before (we hope and pray they'll come again now the ice is broken), I got rid of my tomato surplus, and we raised £214 for MacMillan.  And we enjoyed ourselves.

How did yours go, @AuntyRach and @BirminghamMarc1972 ?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,050
    As someone who attends a hospital unit that was built with the help of the National Gardens Scheme and the Macmillan cancer support, I would just like to say thank you to everyone for making it possible.

Here are photos of the unit, two years old, and the ward that I visit.

No idea who that bloke is. Maybe the architect.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Ours went very well. We raised £425 not a fantastic amount but every penny counts. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 1,606
    Pansyface, that looks like an impressive facility. I trust it benefits you and others.

Unfortunately, I have to say my wife’s experience of MacMillan nurses has been far from positive. Instead we do fund raising for three other cancer-related charities.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,581
    Our one was great - plenty of lovely bakes and happy eaters. Total raised not announced yet, as the event was continuing until today. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    Well done Rachel ☺
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,195
    MIL is hosting another garden party in S Lincs tomorrow (like the one she held last year) ... as the forecast is dodgy her kind local builder is erecting a small marquee for her and the local pub have offered the use of their function room should the weather be really rubbish. She’s not really a pub goer and doesn’t really know the landlord so that’s especially kind of them. 

As we’ve just driven home from Cornwall we’re not able to be of practical help as we were last year but hopefully it’ll be another successful event to thank MacMillan for their support and in memory of OH’s lovely late Dad. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh