Forum home Problem solving

Grey squirrels

Can anyone recommend a particular bird feeder that squirrels struggle to get into? Or any other deterrent?
I know you can't choose what wildlife comes in to your garden and squirrels need to feed too but they are gobbling the sunflower seeds and peanuts, and frightening the birds off. 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,076
    I got a squirrel buster seed feeder. Not cheap. It is great in theory but pigeons worked out how to whack it and eat the seeds on the ground.
    However,I am smarter than your average pigeon and moved the feeder off the hooky stand I'd bought and hung it on the washing line out of squirrel jump range. Fortunately the pigeons were to stupid to work out why it had disappeared.
     I think a cheaper one probably would have worked as well in that situation.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in the winter when the tree rats are hungry enough to work something out.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    I have a cheap cage type for fat balls and the squirrels have not succeeded to get in...but has been fun seeing them try all different tricks. Their last one was trying to get it off the apple tree it hangs from... unfortunately for them I picked a good branch. 😂
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 556
    edited September 2019
    I haven't tried it myself yet, but someone on another gardening forum said they had some luck with their bird feeder that was on the top of a metal pole.  The pole/feeder needs to be considerably away from trees where squirrels might still jump on it from a nearby limb.   What they did was to wire a Slinkie® toy on the pole (not sure you have these in the UK?  https://www.duluthtrading.com/slinky-32028.html?&srccode=BPSHP&chnl=ps_prospect_pla_mn&region=in_region&msclkid=06fa0918b7cb1cecbd065466d91cc5b7 She said she wired one end right under the feeder, and let it just hang.  Squirrels can't get their footing with the Slinkie sliding around as they attempt to climb up to the feeder.  Cheap fix that might work.  Seems like it would.  :)
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147
    Just build a cage. They can't get in but the small birds can. 
    You can make a basic one of chicken wire attached to timber battens. You can then attach it to a wall or fence, or just hang it from a tree using some chain or rope. 
    I made mine using the shelves from one of those plastic greenhouses. A simple door, using wire or similar so that you can get access, and one of those thumb turns for securing it is all you need.
    I made mine a bit fancier last year and gave it a green roof  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    I have two squirrel proof feeders from The Nuttery - I've had one for about 3 years, the ither for two. They actually work! The squirrels have had several attempts but have never succeeded. Even better, the parakeets can't get in either.

Sadly the little grey b****rs still dig up every bulb not protected with chicken wire, bite off climbing beans once they've reached a foot or two, and eat tulip flowers just as they open... but the bird seed is safe!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • BrexiteerBrexiteer Birmingham Posts: 955
    A tip an old fella gave me years ago mix hot chilli powder in with the seed. Squirrels can't stand the hot chilli and birds can't taste it
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    edited September 2019
    As had been said several times on this forum,  chilli powder can cause severe ulceration to animals getting it in their mouths, on their paws and rubbing it in their eyes.  

Despite how annoying squirrels can be I’m sure you don’t want to cause suffering to any animal. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@lovegardening77 - I also gave up feeding peanuts in feeders. That made a huge difference, as that was a big attraction. There are small pieces in the seed mix, but since the little blighters can't get into the feeders - they're stymied, and the little birds get it all. We have a lot round here, but I've noticed a big drop in the visits since I did that.
    I still put food out on the ground, only in the colder months, but it's usually gone by the time Tufty and his pals appear  ;)
    Now I just need to stop  them eating the little bulbs.... :D

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313
    No peanuts but a cheap feeder bit the dust......

and so did all the bulbs........

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    B*88ers aren't they @herbaceous:D