Roger

Hello, Rank novice seeks advice re bare root Wallflowers.  Recently I purchased 2 packs which looked in need of a good soak, which I did when getting them home, and then after an hour or so, I planted ten out, and potted up the rest for placing elsewhere next year.  However, on checking the plants progress this morning, I find that only around six of them have "rebounded" back into life, with the rest of them still looking wilted, I should add that they were all planted yeasterday afternoon - so am I being too hasty?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,448
    Hi @Artful Codger ... I usually expect to lose one or two of them but most bounce back ... some take a bit longer than others ... so yes, 24 hours is a bit early ... a lot of patience is needed in gardening. 

Are you you going to interplant your wallflowers with tulips? They look good together as they usually flower at the same time. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Advice noted, and appreciated. Yes, I am intending to plant taller flowers, but something a little longer in the flowering period, and beneficial for Bees etc, I have recently grubbed out a couple of old Abelias, and after treating the soil, I intend to make a carpet of Bidens/Lysimachia, along with Wallflowers a few Agapanthus, with others yet to be decided upon. My garden is basically one for Wildlife.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,756
    They do tend to look pretty sad for a while, but as Dove says, the majority will perk up after a few days. It's likely that a couple won't make it though, based on my experience. 
  • All very encouraging advice, thank you.
    .... My garden is basically one for Wildlife.

So is mine ... but some of the wildlife is taking our wildlife friendliness a bit for granted ... my brassicas are looking a little ragged at the moment ... wish the bluetits would take their caterpillar-eating responsibilities a bit more seriously.  🐛 🐦 

🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oddly enough, this year I have had very little - if any - problems with pests - - including me Hosta!  Perhaps - in my case - the Hedgehogs have started earning their keep huh?
    ‘Our’ hedgehogs are great at keeping the slugs and weevils in order 👍  ... they have yet to master climbing a ladder to reach the cabbage white babies  🙄 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041
    If you have wildlife in mind grow some native plants. The current emphasis in Bees and Butterflies concerns me. We can't afford to forget the larval stage of the Butterflies, Dove is looking after the whites but a lot of Moths need native plants. We should be supporting the ecosystem rather than selected creatures

• Artful CodgerArtful Codger Posts: 10
    edited 15 September
    In my "Garden" I have laid aside many wild areas for all such beastie's as needs em, I have created banks of garden waste along the garden fences, where Hogs, wood mice, newts, frogs, lizards & a plethora of insects inhabit. This year I have had many Caterpillars nibbling, and me moth trap tells me that my yard at least seems Healthy, with an excellent food chain. I also have native trees, and wild flowers. The only downside is that I am hampered by a debilitating back problem.
    Nearly forgot me wildlife Pond!