Forum home Problem solving

Freckles-Clematis

I have an established freckles clematis which has been flowering and growing all year. Underneath a lot of the foliage is Brown and tatty. However all the new growth is very green and still has flowers on. Should I prune now or wait until the spring? It is covering a trellis and telegraph pole and has reached about 9 feet on the pole.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    edited September 2019
    Although Freckles often flowers intermittently throughout the summer months its main flowering time is during the winter so I definitely wouldn’t prune it now. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    Agree.  Wait till the main flush of winetr flowers is over in mid spring and then cut out some of those brown stems to the base and leave them to wilt a week or so before pulling out from the rest.  Then you can see what else needs cutting back or tying in to the supports.

Give it a generous feed of slow release clematis, rose or tomato feed and make sur eit doesn't go thirsty in dry spells.  An occasional liquid feed of rose, tomato or seaweed fertiliser between spring and mid July will help it along too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • SK831SK831 Posts: 31
    Many thanks to you both I will leave until spring.