Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea help please

Hi there everyone, we had a very wet couple of days here and my newly planted Hydrangea has been obliterated by pesky slugs. Do you think it has any chance of survival???? Thanks in advance 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    I think this is a case of wait and see.   Keep it cleared of slugs and make sure it has enough to drink but isn't drowned and is in a sheltered spot and it stands a good chance of surviving.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you for your reply. Do you think it’s worth bringing it inside for a while or should I leave it outside???
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    No - dont bring it inside.
    It's a very small plant - it could do with growing on in a slightly smaller pot. It's lost in that one. It's not much more than a cutting. It's making it difficult for it to establish a  good root system if you put  it in too big a pot early on.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you 😊 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    I don't find they get eaten by slugs, and we have more than you can shake a stick at.
    I think it's more likely to be caterpillars. Result's the same though  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mine definitely has slug trails all over the leaves hence why I came to that conclusion but you could be right 😌 either way it’s really frustrating 😩
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152
    A layer of sharp horticultural grit over the surface of the compost might help keep the molluscs away from your plant. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh