Bargain trolley cistus and hebe questions

I benefitted from b&q water saving policy by getting some cistus corbariensis and some hebes (various) for £1 each, very very stressed from lack of water. 
I removed dead foliage, and watered every day for a week, and I have just repotted the hebes, they look fine now, but are quite small. I’ll overwinter in a cold frame. 
The cistus look fine and are quite big, ready for the garden I think. It’s not a plant I have had before so I’m looking at advice on where to put them. Says sunny and sheltered and fairly dry. I can do sunny and dry, but sheltered hmmm.
I have some sheltered spots but they are much shadier and wetter (at the bottom of slopes behind hedges sort of thing). 
So if planted dry and sunny, how much wind can these take? Oh and rain and snow! 
As they are new to me and want to see flowers next year, I’ll over winter in a cold frame if that’s the best way of keeping them. 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,769
    Think Mediterranean with cistus plants. Best to opt for the sunny and dry areas of the garden and hope that the wind isn't too fierce. And let's face it, anything grown in this country is going to have to contend with rain and snow so if it can't cope with that, you may as well grow it indoors.
    Seems like you bagged a bargain......I'm quite jealous.
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 542
    I have 3 cistus in my garden here in the north east all in full sun but windy and wet flower well each year no problem.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 738
    Great, I’ll give them a go on the dry sunny slope. Pop into b&q Ceres and see if they have implemented the same policy. I think it does vary a lot in different stores, and probably who is on holiday etc.