Mottled herbs

help! My erbs are all mottled! What might be the cause? I was thinking of a foliar spray of seaweed feed to see if that helps.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,663
    I get it on mine too in the hottest parts of the garden.
    I think the likely cause is thrips, but I also see little moths on the affected plants, so maybe something to do with them.
    This question pop's up several times every year on the forum, and I've not yet seen a definitive answer.
    I'm sure your erbs are fine to eat, they just don't look quite as tasty though.
    I grow herbs to eat elsewhere now and they don't seem to get the little spots.
    I doubt seaweed will make any difference, but the herbs will probably appreciate it
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,170
    I too also thought thrips or even spider mites in the past, but BobTheGardener on this forum recently mentioned Sage and Ligurian Leafhoppers.  I think this is most likely, especially if it's mainly your herbs affected.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,663
    That makes sense @Borderline - thanks.
    I tried tapping the plants onto some paper a few years ago and found some dead bodies. I couldn't identify them at the time and with the help of my USB microscope posted a pic on the forum, but to no avail.
    Having googled Ligurian leafhoppers, they do look like what I found on my plants, so I think the mystery is solved.
    So special thanks to @BobTheGardener

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.