Rosa rugosa from seed

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,278
Would this work?  Has anyone tried it, and with what outcome?  There are plenty of hips growing on public land near me.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 29
    I grew a rose years ago from a rugosa hip. I don’t recall doing anything  other than letting it completely dry out and then splitting it open over a pot Andrew then leaving it outside to see what happened. It wouldn’t have been anything other than a bit of garden soil as this was when I was skint. I think we had just 2 appear, one of which grew really well.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,110
    I grew some from hips picked in a public car park.   Split them open and separate the seeds.  I used a small window box for mine filled with ordinary seeds and cuttings compost, sowed the seeds on top and then covered with a thin layer of compost.

I left them outside all winter in rain, hail and snow and in spring I had a little forest of seedlings to prick out and pot on.   I then grew them as a hedge but have to say it was a bit too exposed and they suckered, looked dreadful all winter and not all of them grew well into decent shrubs so we pulled them all up.

If you're only planning to grow one or two you can select the strongest seedlings and nurture them and you'll have fine plants.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,593
    I have done this. I chose hips that were really soft and ripe, washed off the seeds and planted them in gritty compost, leaving the pot outside in a cold-frame. They germinated in the spring, I grew them on, potted them up and planted them out in a group next spring. (The advice is to plant out in autumn but my heavy wet clay isn't good for this.) They have flourished. Each year I cut them back hard and they shoot up and flower, pink or white, then produce scarlet hips. They are very healthy and vigorous but I must admit, they do sucker.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,278
    Thanks everyone, Glad you all had such good results.  I'll get gathering and sowing.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,123
    Must be easy I think, we have it along our banks, never planted it, it just came, present from the birds, it’s now everywhere and I’ve tried all sorts to get rid of it, it just keeps popping up again in the Spring, I cut it right down to ground at the end of the year. 
    Very prickly vicious plant. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,021
    It is easy, sow fresh now (or when ripe), you might even get a flower next year. 50% of mine flowered first year