Mary Walsh

Hello,   I was interested in the 10 best spades article but after reading this was disappointed.  All of the models were heavy.  None had ergonomic handles.  None designed for someone who is 5'4" and a bit arthritic and cannot heft a heavy digging spade easily.  Has anyone got any suggestions apart from getting a muscle-bound gardener to do the work!

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,278
    Read up about "no dig" gardening.  Build raised beds where you just need to cultivate the surface of the soil.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,110
    Failing that, a lady's border spade in stainless steel should do the trick as they have a smaller spade surface so you are less likely to strain yourself.

Have a look at Spear and Jackson or Burgon and Ball, depending on your budget.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117
    I’ve always used a ‘border fork’ and ‘border spade’ .  As a woman I’ve found them to be a much more practical size for me to use without straining my back. I know male gardeners who use them too as they’re a more practical size to use amongst plants  ‘in the borders’ 😆 

Like you I was surprised that this aspect wasn’t addressed by the magazine feature. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,629
    I agree with the use of a lady's/border spade and fork. I am the same height as you and they are fine for me. Considerably lighter. I would head to the garden centre and try various ones until you find one that suits you :) .
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,768
    The article does stipulate 'digging spades', maybe there'll be a separate list of border spades another day.
  • Hello,   I was interested in the 10 best spades article but after reading this was disappointed.  All of the models were heavy.  None had ergonomic handles.  None designed for someone who is 5'4" and a bit arthritic and cannot heft a heavy digging spade easily.  Has anyone got any suggestions apart from getting a muscle-bound gardener to do the work!
    thanks for all the replies.  Talk about when is a spade not a spade?  Didn't know there was a difference.  New to all this gardening lark!
  • thanks for all the replies.  Talk about when is a spade not a spade?  Didn't know there was a difference.  New to all this gardening lark!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,629
    What's the difference between a border spade and a digging spade ? Presumably just the size ?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,925
    After my faithful trowel, the tools I use most are a border fork and border spade.  I would recommend spending a bit extra to get stainless steel ones with wooden 'D' shaped handles.  I bought some of these 30 years ago and they are still as good as the day I bought them:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.