Peace lily

Hi all, I’ve have a peace lily. For the past 6 years it’s not flowered. It’s in my living room, away from direct sun light. What am I doing wrong? Was repotted 3 years ago. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,245
    Take it outside or in the bath/shower and give it a good rinse off with tepid rain water from a watering can with a fine rose and wipe any remaining dust off the leaves with a soft cloth. If we get anymore warm rain this year you can just put it outside for a wash off in that. Flush the soil through with rain water then only water with rain water and organic fertiliser (or fish tank water if you keep fish). Let it start to droop a bit before you water it. In the spring take it out of the pot and remove any small leaves or offsets, don't worry about being too brutal. Brush off lose soil and remove any dead roots etc then repot it into fresh soil. Move it closer to the light next year (but still out of the sun) and it should flower. They survive fine in darker parts of the house but thrive nearer the light. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 493
    I was told that to get repeat flowering you needed to stress the plant by not watering until the leaves drooped. 
    It did work a bit but after 6 months or so I chucked the plant as I didn't find it very attractive when not in flower and they are so cheap to buy in flower at my local supermarket. If you buy cut  flowers they would cost more and not last as long.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,245
    You can buy artifical flower spikes to add to the live plant if the flowers are the main selling point. They're supposed to be a great plant to have around for improving air quality though so a healthy lily means a healthy house.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 454
    Hi @Juniper4,

I've got a few of these .... and they are almost always in flower. I feed them about once a month with homemade comfrey feed ( I do this outdoors as it does stink a bit )
    Probably tomato feed would do the same job.

I also do the "hose down" as wild edges has suggested. I use the mist setting on the watering lance and this is good for getting rid of any dust and freshening the plants up.

Good luck with yours.

Bee x
      image  Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey 
  • PageZPageZ Posts: 66
    I also find drought induces peace lily to flower by accident. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 759
    Mine was the same but flowered after I moved it to a bright indirect sunlight.