Bursting cherry tomatoes

HomeFarmHomeFarm West MidlandsPosts: 36
Some our cherry tomatoes are bursting with more than just flavour - it's not a massive issue because it's only been a few lately, but just wanted to know what's causing this so that I can keep learning and avoid this happening in the future.
Our DIY & sustainability journey: My Home Farm

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,628
    I believe it's usually caused by either fluctuations in temperature or watering. Sometimes there's not much you can do to prevent it,  particularly with the extremes of temperature we have had this summer. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296
    agree with Anni, most common when they've been a bit on the dry side then given a massive drink.
    Devon.
  • HomeFarmHomeFarm West MidlandsPosts: 36
    Hostafan1 said:
    agree with Anni, most common when they've been a bit on the dry side then given a massive drink.

That sounds about right - the weather has been so schizophrenic, with warm, dry spells followed by downpours and cold. Glad to know that it's not something I've done. And I like said, it's not a major issue because it's only happened to a handful of tomatoes.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,628
    All part of the learning curve  :)
    What variety of tomato is that ?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,245
    I've had the same problem after a leak in my greenhouse roof gave one of the tomato pots a good drink and burst all of the ripe ones.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,887
    Picking when just ripe helps as leaving them until fully ripe risks this happening. Hard to do if you have alot ripe at the same time ( it's been a very good year ) 😁
  • HomeFarmHomeFarm West MidlandsPosts: 36
    AnniD said:
    All part of the learning curve  :)
    What variety of tomato is that ?
    It's called Golden Crown - they are extremely sweet and very tasty.
  • MissMMissM Posts: 27
    I was told that if you water tomatoes when they are warm you can avoid this...