Planting underneath an old pine tree

granmagranma Posts: 1,829
I have cleared the area under an old pine tree. I'm looking for an assortment of plants to grow  .ferns ,,helebore  some grasses   .then my minds blank.
Help please!!!!!!

• Your main problem here is the soil will be very dry and will remain so for quite a long time. It will also be very poor in nutrients as the tree will have sucked most of them out. First, before you do anything, give the whole area a heavy mulch with manure. You probably wont be able to fork it in because of the remaining roots, so leave it over winter and let the weather get to work. Next spring try a few undemanding plants, like snowdrops and hardy cyclamen. Don't try anything fancy for at least a couple of years.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,639
    When you say old tree, do you mean it is still there, alive, or still there and dead, or that you have removed part or all of it?
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,829
    It is still their and  very much alive. It was  planted around sixty yrs ago as a young sapling by the previous owners.some branches have been taken off.
    (it's around six ft  from the ground to allow for  planting) and behind the tree is a Hawthorne boundary hedge.
    So at times  there isn't a lot of light until the hedge is cut.

• We have something similar in our garden. We have planted perennial cyclamen as suggested above and they do well. We also have a lamium maculatum (dead nettle) which has flourished and is good for ground cover.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,748
    London Pride - Saxifraga urbium , will grow anywhere. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....