Forum home Wildlife gardening

What is this poo?

I found 3 of these on my flat roof. Apart from a ladder there is no way up onto the roof (climbing plants, small roofs etc.). I have googled around but have had no luck. My best guess is a bird dropped them but then there are 3 of them so maybe unlikely.

thank you very much

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,578
    An owl pellet? If so it's not poo but vomit, and if you break it up a bit will be a collection of fur, bones and anything else undigestible.
  • Ah that makes sense. We live in the forest and there are a lot of owls around every night. 

Thank you very much
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,888
    I'd second pellet of some kind, most likely a tawny owl or maybe a buzzard, it's a bit large for smaller birds. Most birds produce them if they're eating undigestible food and you'd have to examine the contents to have a better guess at what regurgitated it onto your roof. Is there somewhere up there an owl might perch?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • thank you Wild Edges

no perch on the roof but we are surrounded by trees and fall asleep most nights to the owls hooting. I looked it up and agree it looks like a tawney

thank you again
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,194
    Lovely visitors to have @stephen.barker115 :)
    Would be worth putting a wildlife camera in , if you have one, to see what happens. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes that is what my wife said :smiley: