What plant

Awhile ago we were in Guernsey and along the sides of the roads there is a lot of this plant. At first I thought they were Mesembryanthemum but Mesembryanthemum have more of a succulent type leaf where these don't.
Any ideas please. 

• Looks like an Aster of some kind
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,159
    edited 10 September
    You are right @Chrisp1, they certainly are known as Mesembryanthemum here, they are succulents and to me the plant you photographed has become too dry hence the lack of greenery.  They need little water so can grow in cracks of walls, rockeries etc with very little human intervention.  We keep our plants out all winter here.  Some gardens have these colourful plants growing in their front garden walls and they do look lovely when in bloom.  I think they are related to Livingstone Daisy which comes with various coloured flowers.  If I remember rightly this Mesembryanthemum can have white, mauve/purple or vivid pink flowers. p.s. you should have let us know you were visiting our island - you would have been very welcome to stop for a cuppa and a peep at our garden.
  • Thanks for your reply. It the first time we have been back in over 30 years. It's sad to see all those greenhouses now falling into ruin.
  • Like most other tourists venues, circumstances change - most visitors say Guernsey is busy - yes it is - small island, population has soared and everything that goes with the demands of modern life is packed into a small island.  However in my opinion the beaches are still beautiful, unspoilt and quiet, the air is fresh and pure and there are small pockets of tranquility within the island - the food is still good and we hope you found the people just as friendly as 30 years ago.  My family had their greenhouses removed in 1980's after the hurricane and the slump in tomato prices.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,119
    edited 10 September
    I think it’s just an Alpine Aster. 
    Or maybe not😀 difficult to see which leaves go with what. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,277
    How about Hottentot fig, Carpobrotus edulis?
  • Not Hottentot fig @josusa47 which we have growing with abandon along our coasts - it is a real menace as it spreads so easily and smothers/kills off all other plants in it's route. The (leaves) of Hottentot fig are much broader than this Mesembryanthemum too.
  • I think your "mesembryanthemum" is a lampranthus. Don't know which type but they come in many colours.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 1,447
    edited 11 September
    Links may help....

http://issg.org/database/species/search.asp?st=sss&sn=&rn=Guernsey&ri=22728&hci=-1&ei=-1&fr=1&sts=&lang=EN

Quote above link...... invasive species in Guernsey:........

1. Carpobrotus edulis (succulent) English     
    Carpobrotus edulis is a mat-forming succulent native to South Africa which is invasive primarily in coastal habitats in many parts of the world. It was often introduced as an ornamental plant or used for planting along roadsides, from which it has spread to become invasive. Its main impacts are smothering, reduced regeneration of native flora and changes to soil pH and nutrient regimes.
    Common Names: balsamo, Cape fig, figue marine, freeway iceplant, ghaukum, ghoenavy, highway ice plant, higo del Cabo, higo marino, Hottentosvy, hottentot fig, Hottentottenfeige, iceplant, ikhambi-lamabulawo, Kaapsevy, patata frita, perdevy, pigface, rankvy, sea fig, sour fig, suurvy, umgongozi, vyerank
    Synonyms: Mesembryanthemum edule L., Mesembryanthemum edulis

https://colnect.com/en/stamps/stamp/6098-Carpobrutus_edulis_-_Mesembryanthemum-Wild_Flowers-Guernsey
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Thank you for clarifying the plants position @Silver surfer and yes I had forgotten about the Mesembryanthemum on the Guernsey stamps - so long ago.  Two separate plants with distinctive habits and flowers.  The Hottentot fig flowers are much larger than the smaller Mesembryanthemum - which is a much more popular garden plant here.