Something seriously wrong with these plants?

Hi my Daphne Odora started to show signs of stress about 6 weeks ago.  I fed it and made sure it was watered but figured it was on the way out as it is about 20 years old and I heard that they weren't particularly long lived, and last year's drought might have stressed it further.

Back from a two week holiday and the daphne has definitely popped its clogs, but I also noticed the berberis behind it has started on one side to drop its leaves and looks pretty dreadful. The whole area looks a mess.  Half the berberis is fine apart from a bit of mildew, so I'm now wondering if there is something more serious going on.  I cant see any particular signs of pests but can anyone give me some advice what I could look for.

1st pic shows the dead daphne with some healthy berberis behind, second pic (sorry I know it's a bit poor) shows the berberis with denuded stems.  Third the OK berberis leaves apart from the mildew.

Thanks, hope you can advise me

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,628
    I wonder if someone has been a bit careless with spraying weedkiller? 
    The only other thing l can think of is that the berberis has become stressed also due to lack of water and is dying back gradually. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296
    My Daphne did exactly the same this year.
    Devon.
  • thanks AnniD, there hasnt been any weedkiller around, but I agree the berberis might be stressed, thats possible. Thanks for your input.
    And Hostafan1 - sorry to hear that, but maybe it was the drought after all.  Thanks. Lets see if anyone else has any bright ideas.  My bright idea is a new Daphne for my birthday! 
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,769
    The berberis looks as though it has powdery mildew.
    I see you have another post asking about the kerria spreading rust to the other plants. It could be your kerria has blight and that shouldn't make a difference to the berberis and daphne.

• Got it, thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,296
    thanks AnniD, there hasnt been any weedkiller around, but I agree the berberis might be stressed, thats possible. Thanks for your input.
    And Hostafan1 - sorry to hear that, but maybe it was the drought after all.  Thanks. Lets see if anyone else has any bright ideas.  My bright idea is a new Daphne for my birthday! 
    It wasn't drought here, immediately after it flowered it started to keel over. No drought here in Devon.
    Devon.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,921
    Cut through one of the dead main stems and see if you can find any staining of the wood which could indicate verticillium wilt (to which daphnes are susceptible.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks will do