Forum home Wildlife gardening

Yet another dead hedgehog

The RSPCA are warning about football nets in gardens as a hedgehog dies after being cought up in a net.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,971
    How sad  :(
    I passed two squished ones today on my travels as well  :(
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I don't know what we can do to help stop them getting killer. It's the time of the year when they are out foraging so they are well feed to see themselves through the winter. We do have a family in one of the hog boxes so I put food and water nearby for them and if it's gone over the winter I'll top it back up.
  • PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
    I have not seen a hedgehog for years, don't even see squashed ones anymore. :( 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,996
    @fosterrose90, just out of curiosity l had a look at the Hedgehog Street results for the Grimsby area (this is about a year ago). I don't know if you're near any of the areas mentioned, but it could be that the little spiky creatures are nearer than you think :) .

"The numbers of hedgehogs appear to be higher in the village areas which surround Grimsby and Cleethorpes; such as the area of Scartho which borders onto open fields and hedgerows.

One of the most impressive areas of the county for sheer numbers of the prickly garden friends was Ulceby which recorded 441 sightings". 
  • PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
    How lovely, maybe i need to go for some walks nearer to the fields, we are a terraced street so I think it is harder for the hedgehogs to get around with all the walled gardens. My sister has one in her garden but lives near Bristol s too far to go and visit the hedgehog !. Thank you for the info AnniD. :)