Forum home Problem solving

Is my Fatsia Japonica terminally ill?

I have a huge fatsia in my garden which is probably 25 years old. It's always done well, but in the last few months it has been shedding leaves rapidly and is much tinner and less dense. In the last few weeks things have got much worse. Several of the branches are completely bare, and some of the groups of leaves completely wilted.
Is there anything I can do for it?

I tried to attach a photo of all the bare branches and the black rotten leaves, but unfortunately it's too big. I'll try later.

• Thanks. There was another photo of the bare branches, but you'll just have to imagine that!
    I've given it a long drink today (I've been away for two weeks). Should I take out those bare branches then, or is there a possibility that they'll sprout new leaves one day?
  • sarahgrahamesarahgrahame Posts: 22
    edited September 2019
    That's reassuring, Philippa! I'm very fond of it, and it's a focal point in my garden.
    I think I'm guilty of taking it for granted as it's done its thing for so long without any attention. It deserves better!

I'm very much an amateur and inexperienced gardener with a lot to learn.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    Hi @sarahgrahame - they'll cope with some sun as long as they have enough moisture, but they're really plants for shade. If there's a lot of other planting nearby, they will also be providing competition for water.  The long dry spells that many areas have had in thelast year or so have been difficult for many established plants, but it should recover with a bit of care, as @philippa smith2 says.
    I give mine an occasional liquid seaweed feed, but otherwise it gets nothing but rain. If you also give it a mulch round the base after a thorough watering, that will help it retain moisture for longer.

They will also grow from lower down- it's normal for them to drop leaves now and again, especially in cold weather, but they resprout.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

sarahgrahame  #
    Mine has been in for a long while. 

I have no idea how old it is but there are a lot of blackened leaves and stems that look awful right  now. I has been really good up till now. 

The weather cannot have a helped with the downpours we have had.
    The leaves look rather drowned but the ground is not puddled.   
    I do hope mine does not die of any rots as they look a bit like that. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'