Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea help!

Hi there, I wonder if someone can help me! I am new to gardening and trying to grow my favourite flowers hydrangea, but I do not think they are happy. I have planted them at the front of my house- north facing which gets plenty of morning sun and have watered them (not to much), given them vitax hydrangea food but now they have lost all there colour. The one of the left is meant to be white and the  one on the right is meant to be blue. 
Any help would be appreciated, I am getting married next year and wanted to use the flowers for my wedding! 
Thanks Charlotte 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    The flowers fade naturally at the end of the season. However I think they are planted too close to your house. That will be a very dry spot which they won't like. I would move them out a couple of feet and up the watering next year.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    They really need to be moved, they grow easily 5’ in all directions so when you replant allow for that sort of spread. If you haven’t got acid soil your blue one will probably turn to pink. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,020
    White ones often take on a green or pink tinge as they mature, so you may find that's the case with your white one. If you know the variety, you can check the info  :)
    I'd agree with the others about the size, and lack of water. It looks completely the wrong site if you don't get loads of rainfall coming in that direction. I have one in a north west faicng bed, right under the front window against the house wall, but we get loads of rain, and it has plenty of moisture retentive soil too. 
    If you do have those conditions,  and you can move them out a bit, they might be ok, but you'd need to move all the other plants instead.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....