Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog food and cats.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
I am fed up with feeding the local cat(s) hedgehog food.
Although I have seen no sign of a hedgehog  :'(  for over a year now after many years of visits,I still like to put food out just in case.
I just wondered if there was a dry mix I could make up that cats didn't like,I can use dried mealworms but of course I now know they can cause hoggie problems.
In the past I have used Mr.Johnsons Hedgehog Food which they love,is there a dry food out there that cats turn their noses up at?
I have tried all sorts of 'barrier' methods (tunnels,u-bends,bricks etc) to keep out cats and so far none have worked.
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    I'd stop putting the food out if you haven't seen signs of a hedgehog. 
    Get/borrow a trail camera to see who's doing what at night. If hedgehogs are visiting you will see them
    Hedgehogs don't need their food in a bowl, scatter it about the garden, hedgehogs will forage, cats less likely to
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    My trail cam has shown nothing recently so probably no hogs at the moment.Can't think why they have all gone after so many years.
    Like you say I think I will put the feeding station away for now and scatter food around instead.
    If the hogs return I can then get the stations back out!
    Will keep the hog house ready as always in case any need a bed for the day.
    These are the 3 hogs from only 2 years ago.

...and the now unused feeding station.

....never thought I would miss cleaning hedgehog poo off the patio (I even have a dedicated bucket,brush and scraper!!!).

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    It's so sad to lose some of the favourites from the garden. Maybe they'll be back next year
  • We give our hogs Spikes or RSPB dry hedgehog biscuits - the cat isn't particularly interested in this food.  I would never put out any type cat/dog tinned meat as this seems to attract vermin as well as cats - the smell given off by meaty food is fairly strong.  Our neighbour chucks a few dried hog biscuits around her garden and this attracts a few hogs most nights but she waits until the last birds have gone - the crows love foraging for biscuits and we have had crows attacking our hogs too.  Nutcut let is right - they will come back if there are any hogs in your vicinity. The camera is a brilliant idea, just to see what is around during the night will be of interest too.