Forum home Plants

Crocosmia and daffodil shared bed

joepatrjoepatr Posts: 23
edited September 2019 in Plants
Hi

We’re in the process of starting a new garden layout and have a long narrow bed alongside a path that I’m looking to plant up for next year. 

I have a lot of crocosmia which has recently been dug up from elsewhere in the garden and wanted to plant this en masse in the bed. I was hoping to underplant these with daffodils and tulips to add interest in the spring before the crocosmia has flowered. I’m worried that by the time the spring bulbs are flowering the crocosmia greenery will
overtake and block out the flowers on the spring bulbs. 

Will this be be the case and if so anything else that I could plant for the spring / winter in this spot that won’t clash with the later flowering crocosmia?

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    I have a circular bed with crocosmia and daffodils and the timing is just right: the crocosmia doesn't get going until the 'dils have finished flowering. Tulips flower later, but not all at the same time; a decent supplier should state the approximate flowering time in the catalogue, so you can choose the earlier ones.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,060
    That will be perfect,  good combination,  I’ve attached 2 photos 
    3rd April, all daffs are out,   there are several clumps of Monbretia scattered around.

21st June daffs finished and Monbretia not quite flowering yet.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Beautiful Lyn.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 14,605
    A bed with just daffs and Crocosmia, would look quite dull for most of the year.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,060
    But that’s what the OP has asked for. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,353
    The tulips might not last very well [ I think the crocosmia will take over a bit] but they would certainly be appropriate as companions. The fading foliage of the bulbs will be covered by the crocosmia emerging. 
    I'd agree with @punkdoc though - perhaps some other perennials would provide a bit of colour between the daffs finishing and the crocosmia starting. Geraniums for instance. Very little work needed with them too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • joepatrjoepatr Posts: 23
    Hi all,

Apologies for digging up an old thread but just thought I'd share a photo I took about a month ago with the daffodils and the tulips just coming out. The bed looks really nice. The tulips are now slowly dying off but the Sweet Williams have grown tall & I'm looking forward to seeing what brings next. 

Thanks for all your help back in Sept.